Thursday 4 August 2011

Sea Men and Mad Women

The things we do for our children...... So on the wettest day this week I had to go out, well i didn't have to but for a couple of weeks I'd been telling Sam about an event near Russell Square that involved the Octonauts. For those of you that don't know Octonauts are a series of books that have been made into a show on CBeebies. They feature a load of weird animals come sailors that investigate the goings on in the ocean.

I really didn't fancy going out today because it was pouring down but I knew Sam would be really upset if we didn't go. So we donned our (not so) waterproof coats and set off for the station (I drove, didn't fancy the walk there today). We made our way to Kings Cross and then walked to The Brunswick Centre which is a shopping centre/housing complex. We got absolutely soaked and I got a bit lost, by the time we got there I looked like Crystal Tips and felt like a drowned rat.



The event was really good, not too busy (and free!). A performer (better than the pirate one in the museum last week) got the children to tell him all about Octonauts and read one of the books, there were colouring activities and at the end Captain Barnacles appeared. There was then an opportunity for the children to have their photo taken, however Sam obviously takes after me as he didn't want to do it. We were given a goody bag with a free book and some masks and then headed out to see what the weather had in store for us. At the exit they were giving the mums 3 free chick-lit books which was an added bonus!





As it was lunch time I decided to treat Sam to a McDonalds (or Old McDonalds as he calls it). We went to the one at Kings Cross but first I had to stop to get some money from a cash machine. Probably a mistake in Kings Cross as within seconds a mad old lady had appeared and was trying to get money out of one of the machines with no cash card. She then decided to come up alongside me and ask me if I had managed to get money, being an honorary Londoner I ignored her then asked her to move away. Seeing Sam take the money and hand it to me she made some comment about "ooh children with money" I made a hasty retreat away from her and her long dirty toenails and bright pink lipstick.

After filling ourselves up with Happy Meals we headed home. There was obviously something in the air today as a woman got on at Hackney Downs and proceeded to tell me how irresponsible I was for leaving the pram with Ava in by the door. I tried to explain that the door she was by was on the opposite side of the platform for the first couple of stops and when she wouldn't listen I told her to mind her own business (I was sat right next to the pram btw).






One of my terribly neglected children.....












Was glad to get home and have a nice cup of tea today.































No comments:

Post a Comment